Saturday, August 21, 2010

Why would I have oil sludge if I have changed my oil every 3K miles since I bought my Pathfinder 4 years ago?

I went to a new garage and I am wondering if they actually changed my oil. Would 4500 miles be enough to cause sludge? My truck has 86000 miles on it. Why would I have oil sludge if I have changed my oil every 3K miles since I bought my Pathfinder 4 years ago?
Doubtful if emissions working- sludge in oil is a symptom that crankcase vent valve are not working. Other possible reasons while getting 3000 mile changes: short trips that don't let engine get to operating temperature over 195 degree. Some possible coolant leak - slightly blown head gasket usual- some intake manifold gaskets that have water passages(GM/chev V8)Why would I have oil sludge if I have changed my oil every 3K miles since I bought my Pathfinder 4 years ago?
4500 miles would not be enough time under usual circumstances. Some car engines were built with bad engineering which led to premature sludge buildup. I believe toyota had this problem several years ago. Google Toyota sludge problem, something should come up. You will need to take off the valve cover gasket and check to see if there is sludge up top. If so, at 86,000 miles you are out of warranty. You could try to run some engine cleaner through it, but if you have no obvious problem, maybe change the oil every 2000 miles for a while and then recheck it.
It depends on what brand of oil you have been using. Some brands actually sludge up while others don't. Also the way you drive and where you drive can impact the life of the oil, also the Temperatures where you live can effect what Type of oil you should be using.
If you take to a quick lube they probably put cheap oil i use castrol or valvalone on asian cars.
It might be they didnot


clean very well


and you might check


your gasket on your engine


might be leaks
start adding MARVEL MYSTERY OIL to your regular oil. After a few changes it will clean it all up. Wonderful stuff.
Hello


86000 miles is enough miles to have sludge .. where do you see this


sludge ??





Steve
maybe your using the wrong kind of oil.
  • facial
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment