Monday, August 23, 2010

Is it against the law if the dealership I bought my car from sold me a car with stripped oil plugs?

Preventing me from getting my oil changed?Is it against the law if the dealership I bought my car from sold me a car with stripped oil plugs?
Sounds to me like you bought from a lower-end dealer, because most will change the oil when they take in the car on trade, etc. and would have replaced the stripped plug when they saw it. They're cheap and easy to replace. So that means your dealer just threw the car out on the lot as it was when they got it. Let's hope a stripped oil pan plug is the only problem you have.





It's an easy fix; if they can back it out and the pan threads are stripped, then they can retap it and install an oversize plug. I had this happen on my Corvette at a quick oil change place...they stripped the plug but it took them only a couple of minutes to fix the problem. To answer your question- no, it's not against the law; it's just an indication of a crappy dealer who does little or no reconditioning before reselling cars to people.Is it against the law if the dealership I bought my car from sold me a car with stripped oil plugs?
No I dont think so. You need to bring your car back to the dealer and speak with the service manager and sales manager or general manager of the dealer and let them know the situation ask them if they can help you out. If you purchased a new car its under warranty if its a used car the will most likely help you out for free if its a decent dealership. But rember When you go to the dealer try and be polite you will get farther being nice and polite than if you are rude to them. Just my advice
What, the head is stripped so you can't use a wrench? It takes a shop 2 minutes to drill the old one out with the right tool, and a new plug is a couple of bucks. Don't go to a quick change place, but any full-service garage can do it. It is an easy fix, and they will have seen it before. Home mechanics are notorious for using whatever wrench they have on hand and stripping bolt heads.
Not really, they may not have even known about it.
No but you can try to get them to fix it or let them change your oil and replace the plug. Most quick lubes wont messed with dented or stripped plugss for insurace reasons or they are just lazy.
I believe that it would be against the law if it was illegal to strip the oil plugs.
They may not have known. It is easy to fix, by the way.
If you buy it from a dealership then everything should be fixed before they sell you the car, so I think you have a case against them if you wanted to go that far. Maybe you could get them to pay you for the repair.
Very few states have used car lemon laws and even then you have to ask specifically if it has a particular problem.





As for fixing it, take it to a shop and a technician can drill it out and then use a reverse tap to get the drain plug out. Then after that, you can put a new plug back it. Relatively simple repair any decent shop can do or even the homeowner with the correct tools.





Also, if you have a decent dealership, talk to them and they may offer to fix such a thing. It doesn't cost them too much money and that way they can possibly attract a repeat customer. Also, remember the employees may not have the power but you can certainly shoot a email or phone call to the dealership owner, but I would try talking to an employee first.

No comments:

Post a Comment