Wednesday, July 28, 2010

What colors of paint (acrylic and oil) should I buy?

I'm going into art school this fall, and I need to buy some paints. I bought a few last summer, and haven't used them much since I just used the high school's paints. I also didn't know what colors to buy, so I just picked out a few. And I've also bought a few from an artist selling his stuff.


Here's what I have:





Color--------------------brand


Cobalt Blue Hue A%26gt;2 Interactive art student acrylic


Crimson Winsor %26amp; Newton Galeria


Titanium white '; ';


Cadmium Yellow Medium Hue '; ';


Permanent Green Light '; ';


Winsor Blue '; ';


Cadmium Orange Hue '; ';


Permanent Magenta '; ';


Raw Umber '; ';


Phthalocyanine Blue Liquitex


Hookers Green Hue Permanent '; ';


Mars Black '; ';


Titanium White '; ';








That's about it. A few odds and ends colors...


But what else should I get?





Also, these are decent student brands, what is a good lower grade artist brand? Just a bit better than what I have is what I'm looking for.





I know the school will give a list to me when I begin there, but that is not until the end of august, and I'd like to get a head start on some work...What colors of paint (acrylic and oil) should I buy?
Well, there is a slightly different list for oils and acrylics (e.g. Rose Madder vs Alizarin Crimson). I use acrylics, and suggest that you have these colors:





Cadmium Red


Cadmium Yellow


Cerulean Blue


Pthalo Blue


Violet


Burnt Sienna


Burnt Umber


White


Black





You may have additional colors needed: Pthalo Green, Viridean Green, Yellow Ocher, Naples Yellow, Indian Red, etc. Also, you may only need a few in acrylics- say white, black, and a brown. The rest may be oils.





One of my painting professors had Painting 1 students use acrylics for underpaintings, and then glaze over in oils. Another was allergic to turpentine and wanted students to use acrylics whenever possible.What colors of paint (acrylic and oil) should I buy?
Phthalocyanine green and Alizirin Crimson to make a radiant black.


You need basic mixing colors and some transparents for glazes...add a Zinc white for scumbling (it is semi-opaque). If you are doing both acrylics and oils you will need the same in each. READ LABELS and use the Internet to find the properties of each color and brand. W%26amp;N are excellent paints.

No comments:

Post a Comment