Friday, July 30, 2010

I am looking to buy a solid oak floor. should i get oiled or laquared. also what brand is best '?

i have looked at caledonian which was nice, but is there something better, junker for example.I am looking to buy a solid oak floor. should i get oiled or laquared. also what brand is best '?
I'm a qualified decorator so I only finish floors; however, if your laying a new floor I would say if you are going with lacquer then get it factory pre-finished as it is costly and not as good to have a decorator finish a bare floor.





Lacquer/varnish is a better looking finish and lasts according to its quality and the punishment it receives - stiletto heels wreck it for example. Oil is not as nice a finish, more rustic, but it is easy to maintain, especially when someone scrapes the sofa along the floor - you can wipe more oil in and dull the mark.I am looking to buy a solid oak floor. should i get oiled or laquared. also what brand is best '?
I recently had a new oak floor, it was available in both laquered %26amp; oiled but my builder advised the oiled option as not that long ago he put the laquered on in his own house %26amp; it scratches terribly! (He actually brought some of his left over bits to make me a window ledge to match the floor as all my oiled stuff was used up %26amp; it was too expensive to get a whole new pack, anyway, looks good but the cat has already managed to mark it so heaven only knows what the floor would have been like by now)
check out Lumber liquidators.com, they offer many different wood flooring species, different grades of oak and others. Also pre finished and un finished are available. They will ship free to their location nearest you in the US. I have used their products several times, and have been happy with them!
My boyfriend has just laid a solid wood floor and he used maple. He also did a lot of research into whether to use lacquer of oil and he found that oil is better for the wood, makes it much more long lasting and the finished product is fantastic.


I know he used an oil from scandinavia, it wasn't cheap but was well worth it.


Lacquer will just wear away and have to be redone regularly. The oil does not have to be done quite as frequently and it sinks into the wood making it last.


But it's your choice and depends on what sort of effect you want.
Neither. Look for a Bruce/Armstrong (US) product called Natural Reflections...solid oak 5/16 thick and it has 7 coats of aluminum oxide/ No scratching...no maintenance. It can be nailed, stapled, nailed or glued to the existing sub-floor. I prefer glue!
try usin laquer then a darker stain on top of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment