Wednesday, July 28, 2010

How long olive oil last? I bought one, way back in 2004, and I forgot to use it. I stored it inside my cabinet?

The brand is Bertolli olive oil.How long olive oil last? I bought one, way back in 2004, and I forgot to use it. I stored it inside my cabinet?
I wouldn't keep olive oil much longer than 1 1/2 years. If it isn't cloudy (if it is then throw it out), a good way to tell is the smell. If it smells like olives, it should be ok. If it smells like cardboard, get rid of it.


At 4 years the chances of it still being good are pretty slim though.How long olive oil last? I bought one, way back in 2004, and I forgot to use it. I stored it inside my cabinet?
There should be an expiration date on the bottle or can. Olive should not stay on the shelf longer than two years max. The taste changes and, in some cases, the oil may become cloudy. Go buy some new oil and use it! It's not just for salads. Dribble it on farmer's cheese mixed with tomatoes and green onions. There are 100's of ways to use it so it does not sit on the shelf. And it's good for you, too.
Check for an expiration date. It probably expired sometime in 2006. If the oil is still transparent, it might be OK, but if it's a little cloudy, it might have gone bad. Just to be safe, I would toss it.
Check for an expiration date, if there isn't one, open it and smell and taste it before using, Olive oil does go bad!!!!!
There should be an expiration date somewhere on the bottle.
Taste it. If it is a little dusty, metallic tasting it has gone rancid.





Good luck
I love Bertolli. If it's not cloudy, it's fine.
BERTOLLI HAS A WEBSITE ASK THEM
Olive oil can last a long time. Don't worry.
Go ahead with it.
It will be fine but I would not wait too much longer to use it!

No comments:

Post a Comment